Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Batboat Rebuild: GEESH! Even MORE Sanding! Some painting, though.

I started out early on July 29, 2010. The plan was to finish the sanding on the hull, topside and splashwell and apply the first coats of sealer.

I had been keeping the tarp on the hull all summer to keep the airborne honeydew off it.

The stern is finally filled in with woodflower and poly resin (peanutbutter) and sanded smooth.

Bottom and sides were finished also.

The big hole was sanded smooth. After painting over it this repair will be invisible.

More sanding on the topside and splashwell.

Before the hull gets its first coat of sealer I made a tracing of the Glastron "scoop" design. More on this later.

The gelcoat sealer I used was Interlux InterProtect 2000E. It is a two part epoxy primer that prevents gelcoat blistering and seals existing blisters

First the hull surface was throughly wiped down with tack cloths, washed with Pettit bottom dewaxer and wiped clean with unused cloths. It took all contaminates off, including the honeydew, and dissolved my rubber gloves. Power stuff.

Interlux InterProtect 2000E requires solvent proof rollers. I only found them on the internet.

Wearing a respirator I mixed the parts and started rolling. It went on thick.

The hull of the Batboat has its first coat of epoxy sealer. The end is in sight, at least for working on the hull. lol!

While stripping paint from the splashwell I found this metallic safety decal. Perhaps I will have one reproduced for the Batboat detailings.
This was a pain to sand due to all the angles. I don't like thinking back to those days at all. lol

No comments: