Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Batboat Rebuild: August 4th Splashwell Fixes and More Painting

On August 4th I continued with the splashwell fixes by turning it upside down and fiberglassing over the open ends of the topside structurals.


These were open ends. I figured it would be a good idea to close them to keep bugs and moisture out of them.

Created in the factory for structural support, they consist of lengths of open cell foam covered with fiberglass cloth. It isn't the foam that provides the strength. It comes from the fiberglass formed over it.



At the same time I laminated more fiberglass cloth along the damaged areas to give them more strength and make the surface more level.



When that was done I painted the hull with Petitt EasyPoxy White Undercoater. This is the primer layer needed for the EasyPoxy paint I planned to use.

It rolled on really nice.

Here shows the first coat of high build primer rolled on the Batboat's hull. Looks like a gallon will give three coats total. I sanded in between each coat.

No comments: