Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Batboat Rebuild: Day 39 July 29th, 2009

I did something that should have been done when the stringers were being fiberglassed to the hull; fiberglass over the cross brace areas.

Learn from my mistakes, folks! This added another afternoon of glassing and clean up time to the project.

The new roll of 1708 biaxial arrived that afternoon but I was down to the last of the polyester resin. I did as much as I could do with what I had. :(

Each stringer brace area was veiled over with 1.5 oz chopped strand mat, wet down and rolled and 1708 was run up the sides.

A while back I posted that my days of messy grinding and cleaning out dust was over. Wrong. Areas had to be ground down before I could properly laminate glass to some of the stingers and all this new fiberglass work needs to be taken care of, too.

I am glad there is some acetone left and I haven't returned my friend's air compressor yet!

One long stringer was connected to the transom with 1708 cloth.

I worked until I was low on fiberglass resin. Two more gallons are expected to arrive on the 5th.

These will amount to 13 gallons ordered so far!! At $45+ per gallon, including UPS, it is not cheap!

Until it gets here I'll consider this a few days off from heat, dehydration and working fast while keeping an eye on approaching storm clouds. lol!

No comments: