Monday, May 7, 2012

Batboat Rebuild; June 2011

On June 5th I started on filling and sanding down the hundreds of holes in the top deck.

I used InterLux Watertite Epoxy Filler to fill the holes.  Its great stuff.

The deck was pockmarked with hundreds of holes!  Had to fill them all in!

I also drilled out a hole I patched up.  Turned out that I need it after all to pass cables through.

Now that the dash was done I fit in the steering wheel I ordered in January from Mooneyes. It is the only blue metal flake steering wheel on the market that is a very close substitue for the Covico wheel originally used in the Batboats I and II.

On the 18th I started to laminate the sides of the air scoops to the deck.  I think they were made from 1/4 inch exterior grade plywood.

I roughed up the sides with my grinder to give the polyester resin / woodflower mixture more surface to adhere to then clamped the air scoop sides to the boat.

Fiberglass was laminated on the insides to give more strength.

On the 22nd of June I fit the inside and top of the air scoop to see how it looked. (seen below) The top is part of the cardboard pattern and the inside wall is 1/4 inch plywood.

No comments: