A journal of the history of the '60s Batman Batboat, how I came to buy a replica and my hopeful adventures in repairing and making it a functional Anti-Crime cruiser.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Batboat Rebuild: Day 8 September 16, 2008
Consistant warm, beautiful weather at last!
Six days after coming back from Flint with the sheets of marine and outdoor grade fir plywood I started on the Batboat in ernest.
This is mid-September and I am in a race against the approaching cold Michigan weather. I need to get as much done as possible, before it gets too frigid for fiberglass resin to solidify.
First order of business was to properly cut the 3/4" marine ply I trace the transom patterns on.
With the new jigsaw, the top and the sides of the pattern were cut from the plywood at a zero degree angle. However, since the transom wall of the hull slants back 15 degrees I made the bottom cuts accordingly so it sits perfectly flat at the bottom of the hull.
Above you see that the one of the two 3/4 inch plys fits perfectly. But when the rear splash well is fitted on the boat the second sheet gets in the way. To fix this I left one plywood sitting in the boat as I traced the splash well around it and cut that part out.
It fits perfectly, now.
I cut the new transom pieces while sitting on it from my concrete porch. I've had metal saw horse assembly things in my back room for months and if I was to continue making the other structural parts they will be needed.
Putting those things took much longer than I expected. A majority of that day's work was making the saw horses.
This day's work was about two or three hours including breaks to think things out and clean up.