A journal of the history of the '60s Batman Batboat, how I came to buy a replica and my hopeful adventures in repairing and making it a functional Anti-Crime cruiser.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Batboat Rebuild: Day 22 June 3, 2009
Today was spent doing little things around the boat in preparation for laminating the in the new transom plywood.
I didn't have enough polyester fiberglass tooling resin or good weather last year to finish the job. Today, 9 months later, I finally glassed on the layer of 1.5 oz Chopped Strand Mat cloth to the backside of the transom wood.
Chopped Strand Mat is the "primer" of fiberglassing. The woven side of the Biaxial Mat 1708 nor the 6 oz. fiberglass Hexcel cloth I have will not adhere to bare plywood without it.
The day before, I had prepared the hull for the new stringers and deck by grinding a little of the hulls surface away with the grinder. There wasn't much to see so I didn't take pictures.
5 gallons of Polyester resin and other fiberglassing items arrived over the weekend. The 404 Tooling Resin from U S Composites came in a cumbersome 5 gallon pail. I was hoping for five one gallon jugs but no such luck. The bucket isn't drip proof so I lose a couple ounces of resin each time I pour out a new batch to mix. It is better to funnel it into a gallon container left over from last year and dispense from there.