Tuesday, May 18, 2010

On the job training.


In late March or early April my neighbor came over and one of the things I showed him was the tires in the back yard and recited the history of the boat. Some days later he came back and asked if I would like to work at a marina.

I lucked out. Everything I need to do the Batboat hull (sand, fill gouges, paint...) I've learned on the job with two stately mahogany wood yachts. Coincidentally, this employment ends around mid June, the same time I'm able to start work on mine.

One yacht is 30 foot long and the other 48.



Its fun job that I like a lot and the owner is a real friendly man to work for.


Stored next to those vessels is a celebrity. One of the boats used in African Queen (1951) starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. It was used in a few sequences and right now the owner is restoring the original motor.

No comments: